Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...




While reading the selection for class in Feminism is for Everybody by Bell Hooks, I found the chapter about body image particularly interesting. At one point Hooks says that in some of today's fashion magazines, there will be an article about how bad eating disorders are but right next to it could be an ad for Victoria's Secret with a half naked Adriana Lima in all of her rail-thin Brazilian glory.

It's so true, so many fashion/beauty advertisements feature photoshopped and airbrushed women. I will admit, like many other girls my age I have anxiety about my body when I really shouldn't. I mean, I can't say that I work out to look good for the opposite sex. I work out to maintain my healthy body. If I didn't go to the gym at all but continued to eat campus food a few times a day, I don't think my body would appreciate that. Then again, I grew up in my mother's house. She's a health nut, and she's a slave to the gym so I guess I got it from her.

I'm rambling. The point is, is that trying to be at a healthy weight, working out and caring about your body isn't exactly always a response to body image anxiety or how women are portrayed in the media.

As for makeup? Form fitting clothes? High heels? What if I just like wearing them to feel pretty? I love Victoria's Secret, whenever  I go in one of those stores it makes me so happy. Could be all the bright colors and perfume.

But really, can feminine feminists exist?

4 comments:

  1. I'm stuck here, too. I also grew up in a REALLY healthy household. My favorite cereal is shredded wheat, not frosted, just plain old wheat...it's delicious. Anyway, I grew up in the habit of watching what I eat and keeping healthy so I see what you're saying with maintaining your body for health. However, there is more to it for most of the population. I do go to the gym because I want to be healthy, I want to be able to run and not be out of breath; but I unfortunately have a higher motive, to get rid of love-handles because I think they are unsightly. So while I must say you are so very lucky that you don't succumb to the pressure of the media, I think you're the minority of girls. Plus, while I love to wear high heels and the whole get-up, sub-consciously it's because I want to feel wanted by men. Rather than gaining confidence from myself, I judge myself by how well I can impress others. It's awful...it really is, and I think a lot of it, if not all, is a result of the media and magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe "feminine" feminists definitely can exist. Isn't being feminine what makes females special? Many feminists seem to stray from femininity because it makes them seem weak. Instead, I think we should be embracing our femininity and show it off as a strength!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring up such good points. While I do believe that the media does play a role in how I perceive myself, I also know that a lot of my health choices simply come from how I was raised, just as you said. I love shopping and I own way more high heels than sneakers, but it's not simply because I see women portrayed like that in the media. A major reason is loving feeling confident, and for me, sometimes spoiling myself with a new pair of pumps is the perfect remedy for that.

    For me there's a very fine line between the media's effects on us and our lifestyle's effects on us.
    But yes, I definitely think feminine feminists can exist. The way you portray yourself through clothes and makeup doesn't necessarily correlate to certain ideals that you may or may not have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see the word "choice" crop up in here...that's one place we can examine, in such that we might be curious what INFORMS our choices. When I was in college, I know I took a lot of flak from feminist or gender-queer friends for for wearing skirts and heels. Do you think that kind of behavior perpetuates, or has the pendulum swung?

    ReplyDelete