Wednesday, April 27, 2011

On Facial Hair and Other Hairy Situations

During the presentations in class a few weeks ago, one group spoke about hair removal. Hair removal has become a part of people's daily repertoire whether it's shaving or plucking or waxing. I'm not sure when hair removal started, probably when people started seeing it as "un-hygenic" I guess, but I don't think that then they knew how it would affect our daily lives now or that it would be such a moneymaker.

Today, women have to go through so much to keep every hair in place. We get trims, we shave, wax, pluck, laser it off, spread smelly substances to melt it off and more. (Has anyone heard of threading?) I don't understand why it's acceptable for some parts of women's bodies (yes I'm talking about the part between the legs) to look like they did when we were in kindergarten. 

I'm not saying it's just women that have to go through this. Men have the option of waxing their chest and back, men who aren't lazy take a razor to their face and shave every other day, I'm sure men pluck their eyebrows too. I'm not saying it's unfair that women have to go through more hair removal, but it does kind of suck that dark hair that grows on a woman's inner thigh is seen as unattractive when men who wear flipflops are allowed to sport hairy cave man toes and no one says anything. 

In class we also discussed why women and men go through hair removal and who they're really doing it for. Personally, I have been waxing since I had noticeable body hair at age 12. My mother tells me that the hair wont grow back by the time I'm 35 so I still have 16 more years to go. But I'm not always walking around with completely hairless legs, the hair does grow back and there is an inbetween period before its long enough for some asian lady to rip it out of my skin again. Who do I do it for? Well if I seriously think about it, I don't want (noticeable) hair on my legs because I somehow think it is seen as unfeminine. There goes that internalized sexism. I mean, if I saw a guy walking down the street and I noticed that he had no hair on his legs, I would probably question his masculinity. But he could be a swimmer, or maybe he just isnt a hairy guy or maybe he just doesn't like hair on his legs either. 

Speaking of masculinity, facial hair to me is just gross. I have an issue with facial hair on men. I think that men under the age of 25 should NOT let their facial hair run wild in whimpy little patches on their faces. To me it just looks like face pubes. I also think that men who let their face pubes run awry are just lazy. I mean COME ON. Women go through so much to have smooth skin, hairless armpits and legs and a neat bikini line, but young men can't keep their scraggly beards in order?? 

When I express my views on facial hair to men my age, they just shrug in agreement. They are lazy. But you know what, fuck it, maybe this summer I'll be lazy. I mean, I'm going to work at a summer camp that is miles away from a nail salon that offers hair removal services, and no way am I going to waste 6 years of waxing by shaving my legs. Besides, I don't think my cute hairless eight year old campers will care if my legs are hairy or not. So there.

3 comments:

  1. Get it, girl! haha. I felt bad for a moment when you said that about facial hair in class because sometimes I see myself as one of those "lazy guys." I really don't care about shaving my facial hair unless I feel compelled to for no real reason. However, I think the issue goes beyond laziness.

    Although men with shaved legs might have their masculinity criticized, women's femininity seems to be kept "in check" with much more scrutiny. At least we have the option. We are privileged to be lazy if we want to be. For women, it seems to be lose the hair or lose the "femininity," which is very reflective of a double standard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever seen or read the Vagina Monologues? There is a great story about a woman and hair removal and this post reminded me of it. When you were talking about how it's creepy for women to remove everything to look like they did in kindergarten reminded me of that story. Gives some good insight as to why some women choose not to.

    ReplyDelete