Monday, March 28, 2011

Sexism in the Classroom

I am taking intro to cinema production this semester with a male teacher. Three months into the course, I am starting to see how he truly favors the work of my male classmates over my female classmates. It could be true that the productions from the males are possibly better, however each project varies in content and style so no one can really say which is "better" or "worse". The boys also create more somber, edgy films about death with shots of roadkill in comparison to the girls who create films with a different kind of mood and subject matter. It angers me though, that when giving feedback to the boy's projects, he goes more in depth, gives more compliments and just seems to care more. I have talked to some other girls in my class and they agree. 
This is not the first time I've noticed sexism in the classroom. I remember in eigth grade, my male science teacher gave straight A's to the pretty blonde girls who were no better at creating static with balloons in an experiment than the rest of the class was. I hope I'm not the only one who finds that creepy, I mean we were 13.
However, it's not just the male teachers that can be sexist. In my high school spanish class, my teacher totally favored girls. She is the sweetest, most caring teacher I've ever had. She always gave the girls good grades, including me, and I did NOTHING in that class. However, the boys in the class always walked all over her and she got no respect. We probably had Spanish class three times a month because we could complain about our lives and how much homework we had and she would let us go. That would never happen with a male teacher, I believe. 

I'm sure that teachers don't realize what they're doing if they happen to favor boys over girls or vice versa in the classroom. I've read that boys get more air time then girls, and girls can charm male teachers into giving them good grades blah blah. But going back to my cinema production class with my chin up gets harder and harder each time. While I appreciate constructive criticism and getting praised on my work only when I've really earned it, I know I'm not the only girl in that class who feels like she can't make good films because she's female and isn't interested in shooting dark, creepy, sad movies about death and stuff. 

In class I know we've talked about what women had to go through to even be allowed to go to school and get educated for more than home ec stuff. However I'd be interested to hear what the rest of the class has to say about this aspect of sexism in the classroom. 

5 comments:

  1. Shane was not pleased with your "roadkill" aside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on both sides of this one where the boys were the favorite and it is much more acceptable when you are part of the group that is reaping all the benefits. When I had teachers who favored girls, it was pretty annoying always having to sit through class knowing I had to go the extra mile to achieve the same grade as a girl next to me who could be doing satisfactory work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on both sides of this as well. Two years ago, I had a piano class (and playing an instrument, like film, is all about constructive criticism in order to hone your skills) where the teacher would *always* favor the guys and gave them more feedback on the positive and constructive aspects of how well they played, even though I worked 10 times harder in the class.

    I think it's totally wrong to favor either boys or girls - grades and feedback should be given by merit. It drives me nuts that it still goes on, even in college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part of it might even go deeper...beyond favoring boys or girls, people might be favoring as assumed male or female aesthetic of behavioral pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't stop in the classroom - wait till you get out into the workforce! Last week I went to look at a new office space. It was me, a guy who works for me, my broker (a man) and the building's broker (also a man). The whole time he was showing us the space and the architectural plan, he was talking to Greg, the guy that works for me. He made absolutely no eye contact with me, assuming that Greg was going to make the decision on the space. It was so obvious that Greg felt uncomfortable and at some point mentioned that I owned the company. We've made progress, but not enough! Welcome to the real world!

    ReplyDelete